Monday, July 7, 2014

About Me



My name is Justin. I'm a 27-year old returning student and excited to resume learning in school and to finally pursue my career dream. My schooling experience was entirely done in Ohio, near the capital city of Columbus. Where I went to school certainly shaped my educational philosophy, my outlook, and how I plan to teach my class. The student population was almost entirely white. Each class had about 150 in it, and each had no more than ten were minority students. We had no English language learners, and no immigrant students. It's this monoculturalism and witnessing the negative effects it can have that demonstrated to me the need for diversity in the classroom. School was never very challenging for me either. There was work, to be sure, but it was not difficult. The ease of the coursework motivated me to get it done quickly so that I could relax and just play around in class the rest of the period. It's sad to me now, because I realize how
Justin Hannahs
essential developing good habits and a good work ethic is. My schooling, unfortunately, did not help me to to develop these things. I earned my undergraduate degree from The Ohio State University, where I was introduced to more diversity. I had the opportunity to study abroad in both Argentina and Mexico, where I learned Spanish and gained a multitude of life experiences that continue to influence my character today.

I would've rated my technological abilities high before today. However, after seeing how much has changed and the numerous things teachers can do, I'm much less confident in my skills. For me, high school was about ten years ago, when powerpoint was really beginning to catch on. I learned basic skills and can still make a fairly rudimentary slideshow using powerpoint. Unfortunately, I never really used powerpoint in college so I never became very good at it, and I never learned any neat tools or tricks, or got to be quick at it. I like the idea of the computer revolution and feel it has a lot to offer. It requires, though, that the teacher really understands how to utilize the tools that he/she is using. It's not as simple as handing a student a new ipad and patting oneself on the back for really utilizing new technology.

Honestly, I didn't apply to CSUSM because of its mission statement. I wanted to get a teaching credential and I thought that CSU would be a good place. Fortunately, I was accepted and so I will do my credential here. That said, I agree with the philosophies that are outlined in our syllabus. For instance, I believe that student-centered education is very important, and that too much emphasis on teacher-driven curriculums and lecturing is bad for learners. I also believe in the tenet of serving the community. Ultimately, I see education as a tool for solving social problems and this tenet of CSUSM parallels perfectly with my philosophy. Along the same lines, socially just aspect of the mission statement is very inspiring. My experiences in Mexico and witnessing the various social and educational injustices have informed my education philosophy and I look forward to using education and my classroom to create a more equitable and egalitarian society.

4 comments:

  1. I love that what you did not have in school growing up (English language learners, immigrants, etc…) helped you realize what is needed as you continue on to be a successful teacher. I agree, it is so important to have a diverse and multicultural classroom environment. It helps shape the way students will grow. I also love your honesty in why you applied for this program! Like you, I did not look much into the mission statement but more so how many students were successful from the program and the fact that it was close by… What brought you to California? Have you been working in a school environment since you graduated? After reading your thoughts on your technological abilities I think it is safe to say we both have quite the adventure ahead of us with this course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its very interesting finding out where you are from. Ohio must be very different from southern California. I noticed that you went to a school where whites were a significant majority. About a decade ago whites were also a majority here too. I found out during my classroom observations that white students are already a minority in those same classrooms I went to school. I am curious to find out about your experiences in Argentina and Mexico and what you learned from those experiences. I've traveled a lot around the United States, Europe, and the America's. I enjoyed reading your About Me blog. Tt was very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Justin, I enjoyed reading your blog. I think it is awesome that you chose to embrace something that was so foreign to you. It's definitely inspiring that you put yourself in a position to experience what it is like being a minority in Mexico and Argentina after having only limited exposure to diversity growing up. Diversity is so important in not only in the classroom but also in society at large. Like Hannah said, it shapes students growth and allows for understanding and appreciating the differences among us so that individual experiences contribute to the teaching and learning process. I also share the same concerns with you in regards to the computer revolution. Educators must really understand how technology can be used in an effective manner to be beneficial to the student's learning, otherwise it just becomes another distraction. I know there's a lot to be learned in this department for me and I look forward to navigating it all with people that feel the same way. We can all help each other out! Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justin, I commend you for realizing the limitations of your own educational experience and taking steps to recognize and address it. I was one of those in the tiny minority of predominantly caucasian classes and was always part of small minority even in more mixed classes. Seeing things from another point of view will be useful when you start teaching. I love that you recognize that there is more to technology integration than just handing the new bright, shiny object to a student. The ever-changing technology world, means that we, as educators, have to keep learning how to best utilize technology to meet the educational goals, not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete