Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Social Media in Classrooms

After reading the articles, I’m still pretty ambivalent about using social media as a teacher. At once, I see its benefit as an educator to share links, thoughts, lesson plans, tips for classroom management, etc with colleagues. Yet, I don’t see much utility in using it in the classroom with students. I agree with the article that pointed out that this would be very helpful for younger teachers who have less experience lesson planning and managing their classroom, and thus would find immense value in mining their peers for advice. I love the idea that one teacher can find a video useful for teaching students about a battle in the civil war, for example, and simply tweet a link. The sharing amongst my Personal Learning Network is exciting and it makes me want to be active in my community. I love the sense of teamwork I get from observing the way other teachers interact. However, I think that Twitter does not provide enough space for substance for it to beneficial for students. Twitter encourages short bytes of 140 characters or less, which is not nearly enough for a student to flesh out a complete thought. I would rather see at least a paragraph from the student explaining how he got to where he is in his thought process. For these reasons, I would prefer to have students use blogging for social media. This allows students to write longer texts in both the post and the subsequents comments. I would also shy away from facebook because it tends to be an outlet for personal social media sharing as well. This issue would also be eliminated by a classroom blog. For me, I would have students make posts and others comment on them, much the way we do in this class to allow students to write at length about topics, rather than quick thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. So, what if you think about Twitter in this light: Just like you have assigned a "duty" to every social media network (Facebook works as an extended classroom that can help lesson plans and blogging helps students generate deep thoughts), Twitter also can have a duty. Emergencies! A quick question to the teacher about the homework, about being absent, and a safe way of talking to the teacher at that. Facebook has private messaging, which is why school's are very reserved about that. Twitter, on the other hand, does not have that feature. That makes it safer in the schools eyes. I'm sure we could sit down and find fantastic ways to use Twitter, though I'm sure the function could be done better by another digital tool 9 times out of 10. But it's worth experimenting with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin,
    I agree with you that I am convince that social media is a great collaboration tool for teachers, but for students I feel like it really depends on what age they are. Aside from what the article mentions about having students connect with other students and people around the world, I can't see myself asking a first grader to use Twitter. I agree with you that 140 characters is not enough for some students to fully grasp a concept, but most of these tweets have links which lead them to another page with more information. I am still on the fence about having students using social media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justin,
    I liked reading about your thoughts on social media in the classroom. Even though I think I would like to try out social media in the classroom, I think that I would mostly want to use it so that I can connect with other teachers. You have a good point about Twitter because students may not be able to express themselves fully on it.I think that if I were to use twitter I would have them express themselves on their, and then meet with them individually or have a class discussion to make sure I understand them fully. I don't think I would like to use a lot of blogging in my classroom because of the lengths they can be, but if I set a limit on the length of the post that might help. I think the point of having students express themselves on twitter is so they can learn to be clear and straight to the point. Some students add a lot of unnecessary details, and it could be hard for the teacher to understand exactly what they mean.

    ReplyDelete