Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Digital Citizenship

I found it very interesting the extent to which employers and colleges use one's social media presence to guide their decision in hiring or admitting a person. It was also very disconcerting. To me, my private life should be just that -- private. I don't expect or want an employer looking at pictures of me from friday night. This isn't because they would be revealing in any way; rather, just this concept and this sort of infringement on my right to privacy bothers me. Perhaps this is naive and a self-induced problem. After all, it's my fault that there are pictures online. It's us as a society who've given up our privacy by posting (publicly) so much of our lives. However, as we discussed in class and the Lifehacker article points out, opting for total privacy and sharing nothing of your life online raises suspicions as well. Companies want to find you online in some capacity. I also find this disturbing. In applying for a job, I would hate to be overlooked because I didn't create a facebook page. The New York Times article discusses this concept with regards to college admissions. If social media presence is going to be a consideration for a job or admission to college, then it should be made clear. Candidates have a right to know the criteria by which they'll be judged. It's not only this sort of opacity that I object to. I also don't like that the higher-ups making the hiring/admission decisions don't distinguish between me as an employee/student versus me on Friday night. It's certainly not necessarily true because I drink or party on the weekends that my work would be negatively impacted by this. It could happen, sure, but it's not necessarily going to and it's unfair to assume that it will. I also thought the Mashable graph which showed that recruiters cared more about spelling errors than they did alcohol consumption or references to gun use in social media. This fact just emphasizes the arbitrary nature of analyzing a candidate's social media content. It shows that it really just comes down to obscure, unknown prejudices that a recruiter or employer might have against guns, alcohol, or how poor spelling might be a pet peeve. If these criteria aren't made clear to the applicant, it's not fair to judge them off of it.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree Justin. My piece had a similar tone. Its wrong for potential employees to stalk us online just like it is wrong for anybody else to do that. I would be really disappointed if I found out any employer tried to dig up information about me online. They would not find anything I am ashamed of online but its the act that is intrusive. Personally I avoid snooping or stalking people online. I feel guilty if I purposefully access a personal profile to try to learn something about them. It feels like stalking to me and it would feel like stalking if employers were to do that to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin,
    I enjoyed reading your blog about Digital Citizenship. I agree with you on the issue of companies searching their candidates online. I think that even if the candidate is not doing anything inappropriate in his or her private life, companies should not be able to look into their background as much as they do. I think that if the employee's private life is affecting the way he or she is in the work force, then the company has a right to address their private life. I think that the fact that companies "needing to find you online" is disturbing as well. This is disturbing because there is only so much they can determine about you online. It would be unprofessional of the company to have their decision swayed by online information rather than a face to face interaction. It is also scary the amount of companies searching for their potential employees online because the search is becoming more intense as years go on. It scares me to think that in a few years private information may not be private anymore. The area between what is considered private and what is considered public is becoming more blurred.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justin,
    I totally understand where you are coming from when you say that it is disconcerting that we are now expected to have some kind of a presence online. I don't like using high tech things, I mean I still use a flip phone for crying out loud! Why should I be "chopped" by a university because I don't own a twitter account? I agree with you that it is totally a hypocritical action taken by employers when they frown upon misspelled words; we all do it! I would have never guessed that you like to party on the weekends, and I really don't care whether or not you do, because it doesn't effect the way you behave when I do interact with you in class on Mondays and Wednesdays.We are now literally being judged by the "cover."

    ReplyDelete